Sunday 14 August 2011

At the Airport

Lesson learnt today: include checking the flight details on the checklist.

Taking the second flight with baby Dan alone, I was too engrossed with the checklist of items to bring and missed out checking the flight timings, assuming it would be leaving an hour later.

Waiting at the boarding gates now for the next flight. All prepared and ready to go. Walking baby Dan as I write.

Airports bring me nostalgia. The anticipation of the journey ahead thrills me. The people who I will be meeting on the other side. The smiley flight attendants who offer you lemonade and trolls on board with in flight entertainment. I guess this has all changed with budget flights up and running.

It is just another mode of transportation. This would be baby Dan's ninth flight. I am not sure whether he will have the same anticipation that I had towards airports and planes when he grows up.

Walking through the check in terminal, passing one of the toy shops, I remembered what Emil asked once. Why do you think they would open a toy shop at the airport? I bluntly reply, I guess it is for the kids. However, I never thought of a reply which was: it is for those corporate people who have been travelling abroad frequently, feeling guilty that they have not been close to the family or the children. The shops are for them to just pop by to pick up some toys for the kids back home, since the only time they have for shopping is at the airport and to relieve their guilt.

Hmm.. kind of make sense.

Upon checking in, the funny thing today was that at the security, instead of usually asking me to pick baby Dan in my arms, the allowed me to push him through in the stroller. After we have passed the security gate, they did a sweep down on him. Should see the confusion on both of our faces. A sweep down on the baby in the stroller.

One hour to go and baby Dan soundly asleep. Hope to have a good journey home without any melt downs. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment